This has to be one of the most engaging light modulation demos ever! The Light Modulator is an easy-to-use, plug-and-play demonstrator of light and physics principles that will leave your students in awe. Plug the flashlight transmitter into a cell phone, play a song, and the sound will "ride" the light beam to the solar panel receiver! Ten unique experiments are provided. You'll be teaching concepts such as amplitude modulation, AC vs DC, fiber optics communication, persistence of vision, molecular kinetic theory, light properties, the Inverse Square Law and more. Requires 3 AAA and 2 AA batteries and a cell phone or MP3 player.
Here's how it works:
- Plug the flashlight into your mobile phone
- Activate the solar panel connected to a pre-amp and speaker
- Play a song on the phone and the sound will ride the light beam to the solar panel. How cool is that?
The phenomenon is known as Amplitude Modulation (AM)
, the same as the AM on your radio!
You now have the ability to transmit sound (information) on a carrier (light) beam! We have fine-tuned and re-designed this technology into this easy-to-do kit for all science teachers and science demonstrators. All you need is your mobile phone and you're ready to amaze...
- A flashlight transmitter
- A solar panel receiver with amplifier & speaker
- USB cable to charge the speaker
- Bulb-shaped flickering LED light
- Flickering RGB ball
- Sugar beads, mirror and clear jar
- Instruction sheets